Sponsored Links

Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Non-Disney Princesses - Non-Disney Girls Remembered


As Disney started to launch their Disney Princess franchise, a song was written as a sort of anthem. This song was sung by The Disney Princess and was featured on every Disney Princess compilation DVD and aired on Disney Channel's daily rotation. I thought the song was cute. The singers reprising their parts for the song included:
  • Lea Salonga as Jasmine and Mulan
  • Jodi Benson as Ariel
  • Paige O'Hara as Belle
  • Judy Kuhn as Pocahontas
I thought the song was adorable and I would blast this in my CD player. What can I say? I love Disney.

As much as I love Disney though, they're not the only studio churning out animated classics. There's Don Bluth, who made the animated Anastasia and almost turned Fox Animation into the new Disney. Don Bluth also did the animated films: All Dogs Go to Heaven, Thumbelina, A Land Before Time and An American Tail.

Don Bluth was the main catalyst for why I wanted to put together this edit of "Non Disney" Princesses. It seemed that no matter what he did, people thought his work was the work of Disney Animators.

My video of "Non Disney" Princesses features heroines from other films that I think deserve the same status as The Disney Princess. It was also a cute video I did for my niece Reanne. Hi sweetie, look I'm blogggin' about you :-)

Provided is a list of the movies used in this video edit, some info on the movie, and some info on the singing voices of these heroines. These singing voices do not appear in my video edit, I use Disney's original version, but I thought it would be interesting to note, especially since some people also claim to hear Lea Salonga (original singing voice of Jasmine and Mulan) in Anastasia. It's Liz Callaway people. There are credits in a movie for a reason:
  • Anastasia (00:00) - Of course Anastasia. From Fox Studios and helmed by legendary animator Don Bluth. Anastasia's singing voice was provided by Liz Callaway who did Odette's singing in Swan Princess and Jasmine's singing in the sequels to Disney's Aladdin.
  • Kayley (00:04) - Warner Bros.' Quest from Camelot. The song "The Prayer" comes from this movie. Kayley's singing voice was provided by Andrea Corr of The Corrs.
  • Tuptim (00:07) - Another Warner Bros. release. The animated The King and I. Tuptim's singing voice was provided by Tracey Venner Warren.
  • Thumbelina (00:09) Another Fox Studio release, Hans Christian Anderson's Thumbelina, also helmed by Don Bluth. Thumbelina's singing and speaking voice went to Jodi Benson, who is best known as the voice of Disney's Ariel.
  • Odette (00:41) A Richard Rich production, Swan Princess. Based on the story Swan Lake which was also used a basis for the ballet of the same name. Odette's singing voice was provided by Liz Callaway, who was the singing voice for Anastasia in Anastasia and Jasmine in the sequels to Disney's Aladdin.
  • Snow White (00:49) Filmation Studios' Happily Ever After. A sequel to Snow White. She was voiced by Irene Cara who originated the theme songs to Flashdance and Fame. Where would the 80s be without her?
  • Ana (01:05) Warner Bros. the animated King and I again. Her singing voice was provided by Christiane Noll who is known for her role as Emma Carew in Jekyll and Hyde the musical.
The video has gotten both negative and positive feedback. Most of the negative feedback is people claiming that technically some of these heroines aren't princesses. If I was being technical I would give a hoot, but I'm not.

To those comments, I just send them to this clip from "A Little Princess."

I also get the usual "but Anastasia IS DISNEY" which resulted in a heated debated with my viewers, but I was expecting that. It just made me feel sorry for Fox Animation.

In the end, I did it because I enjoyed to do it and it was informative. I love being informative. I hope you enjoy it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Be sure to leave comments on the actual youtube page as well.

Guinea Pig Soundboard

soundboard.com

Search This Blog